Thursday, January 04, 2007

Upgrades That Suck

Upgrades, gotta love 'em.

As it turned out, I foolishly accepted the offer of an upgrade to Windows Media Player 11 a couple of days ago. It all looked to have gone smoothly to begin with, and in fact I like the look of it - seems easier to find things and is a much nicer interface, all in all.

So I ripped a couple of CD's I'd been meaning to put on my PC for a while, then connected my MP3 player. And... nada. Well, the helpful error message said words to the effect that my player was using an old USB driver which was no longer supported, and I should go get a new one. Great! It was getting very late, so I decided not to wrestle with it and left it til the next day.

The player in question is a Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen NX (nice and snappy that, ha), so I hopped over to Creative Europe's website and downloaded the latest USB driver and installed that. Still the same error message.

A bit of Googling later, and I found that WMP11 has "known issues" with Zen portable devices. It would have been nice to have been told this before I did the upgrade, Microsoft! The suggested bodge fix is to roll back to WMP10, upgrade the firmware on the Jukebox and reinstall WMP11.

OK, I'll give that a go. Except that, having trawled around Creative's support site (again) and found the supposedly correct firmware upgrade, I get this lovely little error message when trying to run it:
Brilliant! So I send off an email to Creative's Support asking just which file I should be using, and sit back to wait for a reply.

Meanwhile, there's a troubleshooting bit on Creative's site which suggests another possible bodge fix if the device is seen in Device Manager (it is) but not recognised by WMP10 (it isn't). I follow the instructions which get me to mess about with the registry! And it still does nada.

Last resort is the section of Microsoft's Readme for WMP11 which says your player might have problems after rolling back to v10; uninstall the USB device in Device Mangler™, disconnect device and reconnect, forcing Windows to reinstall. Still five parts of you know what.

So now I've got the (un)shiny Media Player 10 back on my system but I'm not even back to square one as the Jukebox is still not being recognised.

Thank you Creative Labs, and Microsoft, for wasting at least three hours of my time. And I'm still not done. You need your collective heads banging together. I don't care who's problem it is, but it shouldn't be mine.

No comments: